Workers have the right to be fairly compensated for the hours that they worked. State and federal laws such as minimum wage laws, federal Fair Labor Standards Act, and overtime laws protect this right. If you feel your employer has not fairly compensated you for the hours you worked, an attorney at LaCourse Law is ready to fight for your rights.
An attorney at LaCourse Law can help workers take legal action to pursue the unpaid wages they are entitled to by filing a claim, pursuing a lawsuit, or negotiating with employers. We can guide you through the process and work to ensure your dispute is settled fairly. Our attorneys can also provide defense and compliance counsel for employers seeking to clarify wage and hour policies.
The most common disputes regarding wages includes:
- Unpaid overtime: If you work in excess of 40 hours a week, in many cases you are entitled to pay that equals 1.5 your normal rate.
- Below minimum wage: As of 2016, Oklahoma's minimum wage is $7.25. Employers are required to pay workers the minimum rate or higher.
- Hour violations: It is illegal for employers to require that employees work through meal or rest breaks, refuse pay for required training, or to manipulate time cards.
- Misclassification of workers: Some employers intentionally misclassify an employee as an exempt category in order to avoid paying overtime.
- Tipped employee violations: There are rules regarding tip credits, tip pools, and wages for tipped employees.